Your brain needs exercise just like a muscle. If you use it often and in the right ways, you will become a more skilled thinker and increase your ability to focus. Here are 5 simple techniques to exercise your brain.
1. Minimize Television Watching — Watching television doesnâ€™t use your mental capacity OR allow it to recharge. When you feel like relaxing, try reading a book instead. If youâ€™re too tired, listen to some music. When youâ€™re with your friends or family, leave the tube off and have a conversation.
2. Exercise — Time spent exercising always leads to greater learning because it improves productivity during the time afterwards. Using your body clears your head and creates a wave of energy.
3. Read Challenging Books — If you want to improve your thinking and writing ability you should read books that make you focus. Reading a classic novel can change your view of the world and will make you think in more precise, elegant English.
4. Early to Bed, Early to Rise — Nothing makes it harder to concentrate than sleep deprivation. Youâ€™ll be most rejuvenated if you go to bed early and donâ€™t sleep more than 8 hours.
5. Take Time to Reflect — Spending some time alone in reflection gives you a chance organize your thoughts and prioritize your responsibilities. Afterwards, youâ€™ll have a better understanding of whatâ€™s important and what isnâ€™t.
From Mercola .com 8/25/09